How to Keep Your Home Safe from Burglary
It is the sad truth, but according to the U.S. Department of Justice, homes in the United States are broken into just about every 15 seconds. A break in causes on average a loss of $2,000 in stolen belongings and damages of property. Home burglaries are becoming a more common crime in today’s world. It is more important than ever to make a point to make your home a less appealing target for burglars. Here are some tips and suggestions to keep your home safe and protect it from potential break ins.
- Don’t put empty boxes from new purchases on curb. There is no need to draw unnecessary attention to your house by advertising that you have any new expensive purchases inside. Putting the boxes out on the curb from your new computer or video game system for longer than you have to poses a threat. This tells potential intruders exactly what valuable belongings are inside your house.
- Keep blinds closed when you are away. Expensive and tempting household items should never be in plain few in the window. It is important to use blinds or drapes to keep these out of view. “Window shopping” is a common way burglars use to pick out what home they are going to invade.
- Lock up entry doors attached to the garage. You should use the same type of durable and secure locks on the entry door that connects the house and the garage as you would the front door.
- Replace old windows. About 60% of all home invasions occur with entry to the windows. Replacing old windows that can be kicked in easily with new more solid paneled windows can make a huge difference.
- Lock up! This may seem like a very obvious tip, but make sure you actually lock up all your doors and windows and close your garage door when you are away.
Call Preferred Window and Door for your updated window and door replacement. We take care of helping you choose what type of door or window that will make your home most secure, and we make sure to install it the right and more secure way. We offer free estimates by appointment at your location. Contact us today to talk about our wide range of window and door, and garage door services we have to offer. Call us at 708-895-3667 or contact us online.